"The Democracy Lab" -- Resources for teachers and students - www.icivics.org
Contact LRE @:
8000 Weston Parkway
Cary, NC 27513
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Medicaid Planning and Elder Law
- Real Estate
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Workers' Compensation
- University of Virginia (B.A., 1971)
- Wake Forest University (J.D., 1974)
- Member of Law Review (1972 - 1974)
- Elected to the Academic Affairs Committee of the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, 2011.
- Elected to the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center Research Park board, 2010.
- Elected as Fellow of the American Bar Foundation in August 2010. (Recognition of outstanding achievements, dedication to the welfare of community and highest principles of the legal profession.)
- Listed in North Carolina "Super Lawyers" for 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 (selection criteria available at www.superlawyers.com
- Chosen by Triad Business Magazine as one of the most influential people in the Triad in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010.
- Hosts weekly public service call-in radio show "You and the Law" on WSJS 600-1200 AM.
- Author of monthly column on legal issues for the Winston-Salem Journal.
- Regular contributor to WFDD radio, the local National Public Radio affiliate, of a series entitled "What I Learned about Life on the Way to the Courthouse".
- Licensed to practice law in North Carolina and West Virginia.
- Licensed to practice law before the United States Supreme Court.
- Served as law clerk to the North Carolina Supreme Court.
- Served as adjunct professor of law at Wake Forest University, and lectures regularly at the Law School.
- Author of over twenty-five manuscripts for continuing legal education programs for North Carolina lawyers on a variety of legal topics.
- Awarded the United Way of North Carolina 2006 Chairman Award (recognition of outstanding leadership, service and commitment to the United Way); Chairman of the Forsyth County Community Campaign, 2006.
- Selected as Citizen Lawyer by the North Carolina Bar Association 2007 (recognition based upon recipient's service to community and profession of law).
- Recipient of the Duke Energy Citizenship & Community Service Award, 2007
- Recipient of the Paul Fulton Tocqueville Leadership Society Award, 2011
- President, North Carolina Bar Association, 2012-13
- President-Elect, North Carolina Bar Association, 2011-12
- Board of Governors, North Carolina Bar Association, 2007 - 2011; Executive Committee 2009-2010
- United Way of Forsyth County, Board of Directors, 2003 - present; Chairman 2010 - 2011
- Department of Social Services, Board Member, 2008 - present
- Winston-Salem Alliance, Board of Directors, 2008 - 2011
- Winston-Salem Business, Inc., Board of Advisors, 2007 - present
- North Carolina Baptist Hospital, Board of Trustees, 2005 - 2008, 2010 - present
- Forsyth Technical Community College, Board of Trustees, 1994 - 2006
- North Carolina State Bar Ethics Committee, 1994 - 2000
- An inaugural member of North Carolina Bar Association Task Force on Alternatives to Litigation, 1985 - 1987, that led to mandatory mediation in civil litigation matters in North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association Communications Committee Chairman, 2004 - 2006
- Past Chairman of Wake Forest University Planned Giving Council
- Member of Estate Planning Council of Winston-Salem
- Member of Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
- President, Reynolda Rotary, 1989 - 1990
- Graduate of Leadership North Carolina (Inaugural Class) and Leadership Winston-Salem
- Active member of Rotary
- Active member of his church; adult Sunday School teacher for over 15 years
- Married for 40 years, proud father of three children, and grandfather of two grandchildren
- Favorite service activities are tutoring high school students who are "at risk" of dropping out of school, and volunteering legal advice to at-risk citizens on common legal issues.